Hex can be played online either using a web-based format or via e-mail.
Web-based games can be played either in real-time, where moves are made within minutes (or even seconds), or turn-based, where a player has days for one move.
Realtime playing sites
The most popular sites (approximatively ordered by the number of hex games played on them daily) are:
- PlayOK (Kurnik) for real-time play with rankings, game records, tournaments
- igGameCenter for real-time play, with time settings, and ranking (it has many connection games).
- Board Game Arena supports real-time as well as turn-based play
- boardspace for real-time play
- http://www.ludoteka.com/ for real-time play
- http://games.wtanaka.com/hex for real-time or turn-based play
- Hex+ for high speed real-time play
Turn-based playing sites
- Little Golem for turn-based play (also has other games).
- Board Game Arena
- See also Richard's server. One can play completely by e-mail, but it also has a graphical interface now. Furthermore any sized board is supported.
- Hex may also be played over e-mail, in a turn-based fashion, with Unicode and ASCII boards.
Services for game analysis
There are some services in the net, which help one play out different variations, analyze the games and share game records.
- HexWorld has an interactive board that can be shared as a link. It has all board sizes up to 30.